What is an ISDN Lite and what it can do?
ISDN Lite is an adjunct processor/switch organized as a scalable set
of Processing Modules (PMs). It resides on a PCI interface of a control
workstation. The control workstation is an IBM RS/6000 communications
server, or some other general-purpose computer equipped with a PCI external
connector. ISDN Lite can be configured and deployed in cost-effective
solutions for some of the most difficult ISDN-related problems faced by
- Provisioning ISDN BRI in non-ISDN Central Office areas
- Serving ISDN customers located beyond the Carrier Service Area (CSA)
- Relieving ISDN Central Office switch congestion
ISDN Lite services and systems will comply with established standards and operational support system requirements:
- Basic criteria will be in accordance with ISDN N1, N2 and N3
- Standards conformance
- Switch/OSS interfaces
- X.25 protocol
- SS7 generation, recognition, and interoperation
These capabilities enable ISDN Lite to function as a full Network Element
and interface with existing Operational Support Systems. As may be necessary,
IBM or the customer may develop special features and interfaces.
Back to "Company history"